• Vintage photos and illustrations that fit your theme (or use our designs on ideasmag.co.za – download, enlarge according to the size of your surface area and print out)
• Old stool with a wooden seat or wooden back
• Fine sandpaper
• Spray paint or paint in a colour that matches your theme
• Découpage varnish
• Paint brush
• Cutting knife
• Cutting mat
1) Place the stool on a dropsheet and use sandpaper to remove any old varnish or paint layers.
2) Paint or spray paint the stool in a colour that matches your colour scheme.
3) Cut out your design in the correct size, according to the size of the surface you are working on.
4) Paint podge on the back of your design and stick it onto the seat or back of the chair. Paint another layer of modge podge on top of the design. Leave to dry then apply modge podge three more times, leaving each coat to dry before applying the next. When completely dry, seal further by painting on a layer of découpage varnish.