Pickled fish and homemade chakalaka with Farfalle Recipe
There’s always enough room for a delicious Pickled fish and homemade chakalaka with cute bows.
Time: 1 day
Recipe by: Bhavana Singh
- Pickled Fish:
- 2 cans of KOO tinned fish (pilchards, sardines or middle cut)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Half cup parsley
- 2 tbs thyme
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tbs ground turmeric
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 5 cloves
- 1 tbs coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbs lime or lemon juice
- 2 cups stock
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- Half green, yellow and red pepper chopped
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- 1tsp ginger crushed
- 1 tbs curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can baked beans (optional)
- 500g Fatti’s and Moni’s Farfalle Pasta Bows
How To Make Pickled fish and homemade chakalaka with Farfalle
- Break egg yolks and whisk. Make sure fish is drained of any liquid.
- Mix flour salt, pepper and herbs lightly dust fish with flour. Coat fish with egg and dust with flour again.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat and fry until golden brown and remove and set aside
- In a saucepan add oil on medium heat, add onion and saute’ until onion is translucent.
- Add all ingredients and mix well and lower the heat for 2min.
- Add water and simmer on low heat for 10min
- Layer fish in a glass bowl or casserole
- Add sauce and leave in fridge for 24 hours.
- Fry onion until brown in oil add curry powder and ginger fry for one minute.
- Add garlic. Add peppers and chopped tomatoes and saute’ for 3 to 4 minutes. Add bake beans. Add a little water and simmer on low for 2 min.
- ADD Fattis and Monis Pasta (follow instructions on pack and cook until al dente’.
- Prior to adding to chakalaka.) Once cooked add fish to the dish. Serve with a squeeze of Lemon.