Jan Braai's Chocolate Fondant Potjie Pudding
This Heritage Day, make sure the fires are lit for starters, mains and this braai dessert!
Recipe by Jan Braai from Jan Braai Junior
- For the batter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 slab (80g) chocolate (broken into blocks)
- For the sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1½ cups boiling water
- To serve
- Vanilla ice cream (or whipped cream)
How To Make:
- Make the batter, part 1:
- Whisk the egg in your no. 10 flat-bottomed baking potjie.
- Then, use your wooden spoon to mix in the milk and vanilla essence.
- Lastly, mix in the melted butter. The butter should be warm but not boiling hot. This is your wet mixture.
- Make the batter, part 2:
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar and chocolate pieces to the wet mixture, and mix until just combined and smooth. Don’t overmix.
- Make the sauce: Stir the brown sugar, cocoa powder and boiling water together until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly pour this mixture over the batter in your flat-bottomed potjie. Don’t mix it in.
- Bake: Put the lid on the potjie and bake for 25 minutes by placing coals under the pot and a lot of coals on the lid.
- The fondant is ready when the top is firm to the touch. Serve with ice cream or fresh cream.