Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe
This lemon blueberry cake is bursting with beautiful natural flavors and so refreshing! The cake is moist and easy to make, topped with a fresh blueberries and lemon cream cheese frosting.
Time: 1 hour
Recipe by: Melandie Esterhuizen
- 230g / 1 cup Clover Mama Bake Margarine
- 100g / ½ cup brown sugar
- 200g / 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 354g / 3 cups Self-rising flour
- ½ salt
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 120ml / ½ cup
- lemon juice
- 250ml / 1cup Clover Amasi
- 1 ½ cup Blueberries (Fresh or Frozen)
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- Cream cheese frosting
- 250g Cream Cheese (at room temperature)
- 125g / ½ cup mama bake Margarine
- 360g / 3 cups Icing sugar (sifted)
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- Blueberries and toasted coconut to decorate
How To Make Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Lightly grease 2 x 20cm / 8inch cake tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy (this takes about 15 minutes) Scrape the bowl when necessary.
- Slowly add one egg at a time, and combine until all the eggs have been added.
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl and in a separate bowl, combine the Amasi and lemon juice.
- Add ½ of flour to the mama bake mix and mix until just combined, followed by half of the Amasi mix and mix until just combined.
- Repeat this until all the flour and Amasi have been added.
- Toss the Blueberries through the 1tbs flour.
- This step helps prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom.
- Fold the Blueberries through the cake batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 cake tins.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes OR until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before icing the cake.
- Cream cheese frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and lemon juice and zest until lump free.
- Add the Mama Bake Margarine and beat until combined. Add the icing sugar and mix for a few minutes until it is light and fluffy.
- Careful not to over mix.