Biltong Cheese Puffs
A moreish snack with truly South African flavours!
Recipe by: Holly Rey & Mimi Rey
- 2 Cups flour
- 2 Egg
- 4 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 Cups grated cheese
- 1 Tbsp grated biltong (the fine powdery stuff works fine or ask the local biltong shop for the scrapings from cutting biltong)
- 2 Cups Maas
How To Make:
- In a large bowl combine the flour baking powder, cheese and biltong.
- In smaller separate bowl, whisk together the Maas and eggs.
- Make a hole in middle of flour mixture and pour in the Maas and egg mixture.
- Using a flat blade cutlery knife carefully together in a clockwise movement until all the liquid mix has been absorbed. DON’T OVERMIX.
- Spoon into well greased muffin pan and bake for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Watch carefully because not all oven temps are equal.
- Test with toothpick which should come out with a few moist crumbs on it.
- Remove and brush lightly with a little melted butter, sprinkle with more fine biltong and pop them back in the oven for another minute. Done and dusted.
- Remove from oven and give them a few minutes to relax and stop clinging to pan.
- Devour whilst still warm buttered and filled with your favs. Cheese, Bovril, more biltong