Cranberry Pie with Lattice Crust Recipe
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup butter, room temp + 1 tbsp
- 1 egg
- 3 cups frozen cranberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups frozen cherries
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cherry jam
- Zest of an orange
- 1 egg
How To Make Cranberry Pie with Lattice Crust
- In a large bowl, lightly cream the butter with a wooden spoon. Add the icing sugar and mix until incorporated
- Add the egg and mix through. Gradually mix in the flour and salt.
- Turn the dough onto a surface and gently knead until it all comes together, careful not to over work
- Wrap with cling wrap and chill for 1 hour
- In the meantime, make the filling; in a saucepan over medium heat combine the cranberries with the sugar.
- Cook the cranberries until most of them have burn but not completely mushy.
- Pour the cooked cranberries int a large bowl, add the cherries, vanilla essence, salt, flour, and cherry jam. Mix until incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a pie dish with baking spray
- Divide the dough ball into two.
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough to 8mm thickness, adding more flour to the surface as needed if the dough sticks
- Transfer the dough into a prepared pie and press into the corners, trim any access dough. Prick the pie crust with a fork and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Cut a circle of parchment paper slightly smaller than the pie, place the paper on the pie, add baking weights and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the blind baking additions and add the filling.
- Roll the second dough ball out into a circle big enough so it reaches the edges of the pie pan and cut into 2cm strips.
- Weave the threads over and under each other, draping over the edges. Watch our how-to video here! Cut any excess dough and pinch the edges together
- In a small bowl, whisk one egg and brush over the pie.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden