Red Pepper, Tomato and Lamb Knuckle Stew Recipe
There is no better feeling than being warm and cosy, but pairing that with a hearty and healthy meal is another level of comfort.
Time: 1 hour
Recipe by: Thando Manyoni
- 2 red peppers, quartered and deseeded
- 2 whole tomatoes, quartered
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 750g Lamb knuckles
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 tbsp lamb spice rub
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups lamb or beef stock
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- To serve:
How To Make Red Pepper, Tomato and Lamb Knuckle Stew
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- Place the red peppers and tomatoes on a baking tray, drizzle over some oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven until charred for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and peel the skins.
- Toss the lamb knuckles and flour together.
- Heat a large pot and add the remaining olive oil and butter.
- Brown the lamb knuckles in batches, remove from the pot and set aside.
- To the same pot, add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, celery, carrots and sweat for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the lamb spice and tomato paste, saute for a further minute.
- Return the lamb knuckles to the pot, add the roasted tomatoes and peppers and stir.
- Add the stock and reduce the heat. Cook on a medium to low heat until the meat is soft and stew has thickened.
- Serve with rice and sprinkle over the parsley