Culinary Hotline - Mini Mommy Chef
Digital creator and chef of Mini Mommy Chef, Shannon Smith join us in the kitchen to share her delicious recipes!
All recipes by Shannon Smith
- 1 red onion, diced
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- A few basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Cup red lentils (soaked)
- 4 eggs
- Mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable stock
- Fresh basil and Parmesan cheese for topping
- Toasted ciabatta for serving
How To Make Lentils and Eggs Brunch
- In a large pan, sauté the diced red onion until translucent.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes and cook on low heat for 5-8 minutes until they soften.
- Use a hand blender to blitz the tomatoes and onions until you get a smooth sauce-like consistency.
- Pour in vegetable stock and add the soaked red lentils.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Season with mixed herbs, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Make small openings in the lentil mixture and crack the eggs into them.
- Cook until the eggs are done, but the yolks are still runny.
- Top the dish with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve the one-pan goodness with toasted ciabatta on the side and enjoy this easy, nutritious, and delicious meal!
- Feel free to make any adjustments or modifications to suit your taste preferences.
- Happy cooking!
- +- 8-10 Chicken wings
- Flour, for dusting
- Oil for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Gochujang paste
- 2 Tbsp White wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Garlic clove, chopped
- 5cm Ginger, peeled & chopped
How To Make Gochujang Crispy Wings
- Cut chicken wings separate drummers and flats.
- Prepare the Coating: In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, black pepper. Toss the wings into the flour.
- Fry the Chicken: Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a large, heavy-bottomed pot
- Carefully add the chicken wings in batches, ensuring not to overcrowd the pot.
- Fry the wings for about 7-8 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the fried wings with a slotted spoon and place them on a wire rack or paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Make the Gochujang Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the gochujang, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey or brown sugar, minced garlic, and grated ginger.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is well combined and slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Coat the Wings with Gochujang Sauce: In a large bowl, toss the fried chicken wings with the gochujang sauce until they are evenly coated.
- Serve: With a sprinkle of sesame seeds and spring onion.
- +- 5cm thick cut fillet steak
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 4 cheddar cheese slices
- Basic chilli oil (chili flakes, star anise, cinnamon, garlic, soy sauce)
- 2 Panini
- Lettuce, to serve
- 3-6 Tomato slices, to serve
How To Make Steak Sandwich
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and chili oil:
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Adjust the amount of chili oil for your preferred level of spiciness.
- Mix well and set the chili oil mayo aside.
- Season and Cook the Fillet Steaks: Season the fillet steaks generously with salt and black pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat until it’s very hot.
- Add the fillet steaks and sear for about 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare, adjusting the time for your preferred level of doneness.
- Remove the steaks from the skillet and let them rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Assemble the Sandwich: Preheat a panini press or grill pan.
- Slice the panini rolls or baguettes in half and lightly butter the insides (optional).
- Spread a generous amount of the chili oil mayo on one side of each roll.
- Place a layer of fresh lettuce leaves on the bottom half of each roll.
- Add sliced tomatoes, red onion (if using), and the sliced steak on top of the lettuce.
- Place a slice of cheese over the steak
- Enjoy your flavorful and satisfying fillet steak sandwich with a spicy kick from the chili oil mayo!