Culinary Hotline - Women's Day Recipes
This mornings theme is all about women in the food industry in light of international women’s day today.
Lemon loaf cake
Recipe by: Sassy bakes
- 230g butter
- 1 Cup castor sugar
- 230g self raising flour
- ¼ Cup ground pistachios
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeeze)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
How To Make Lemon loaf cake
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Line and grease a 21 x 11cm loaf tin.
- Sift all your dry ingredients, then whisk it.
- Add the remainder of your ingredients and mix on medium speed for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes – check with a skewer for doneness.
- Lemon syrup:
- ½ Cup castor sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Remove cake from the oven, allow to cool slightly and pour hot syrup over.
- Lemon glaze:
- 1 Cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- Pour over cooled loaf and sprinkle with zest and ground pistachios.
Baby spinach and garlic mussels
Recipe by: Sassy bakes
- Baby spinach
- 300g butter
- 1 chopped green pepper, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 Tbsp lemon pepper
- 2 Tbsp garlic pepper
- 3 Tbsp crushed garlic
- 2 chopped chillis (optional)
- 1 Tbsp ground pepper
- 800g half shelled mussels (drained of all water)
- 1L cooking cream
How To Make Baby spinach and garlic mussels
- In a large pot, melt your butter.
- Add your green pepper and fry off for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, zest, black pepper and all your spices.
- Add lemon juice and cream and boil.
- Add baby spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add your mussels and cook for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with ciabatta.
Mixed Bean Chakalaka
Serves: 4– 6
Time: 20 min
Recipe by: Nolu Dube-Cele
- 125 ml of olive oil
- 1x sliced medium onion (half length size)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 5ml chopped fresh ginger
- 3 chopped red bird eye chillies
- 30ml mild curry powder
- 200g grated carrots (2 to 3 medium carrots)
- 20ml All gold tomato sauce
- 1x finely chopped tomato (remove skin and seeds before)
- 50g chopped mixed peppers (red, yellow, green)
- 20ml chutney
- 300g canned baked beans in tomato sauce
- 50g canned red kidney beans (drain brine)
- salt & pepper
How To Make Mixed Bean Chakalaka
- In a large pot or deep frying pan, heat your oil, add onions and let them fry until translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and chillies, cook for a minute.
- Add curry powder and let it cook for about two minutes on low heat 2-3mins.
- Add grated carrots, stir to combine and cook until coated with the curry mixture.
- Add 20 ml tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes and stir until well combined.
- Lower your cooking temperature, close the pot and let the mixture cook for about 5 min.
- Add peppers and let them cook for less than a minute, ensuring they stay slightly crunchy.
- Remove from the stove.
- Add all the beans, chutney and season with salt & pepper for taste
- Serve with steamed bread.