Steamed Prawns with Vegetable Noodles & Laksa sauce
Held in Carrol Boyes Homeware
Recipes by Reuben Riffel
For the noodles:
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 large beet, peeled
- 1 celeriac, peeled
- 1 large turnip, peeled
- Use a sheeter to cut the vegetables into thin flat sheets. Use a knife to trim the sides, squared off and keep, the offcuts for another dish. Keep the sheets separate until ready to cook.
For the Laksa paste:
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lime rind and juice only
- 3 red chillies seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tsp pickled ginger
- 2 stalks lemongrass ground fine
- 2 tsp shrimp paste, fry roast in the oven until fragrant
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 50 ml oil
- Blend to a fine paste
For the sauce
- 1 sachet of fish stock
- 1 sachet chicken stock 500ml water
- 1 can coconut cream
- Palm sugar to taste
- Lime juice to taste
- Thai fish sauce to taste
- Add together 3/4 of laksa paste with the stock, water and coconut milk and allow to cook down by a 1/3. Add the palm sugar, Thai fish sauce and lime juice to balance the flavour.
For the prawns
- Peel 6 large prawns, deveined
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp pickled ginger juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Fresh coriander
- Chilli threads
- Steam the seasoned prawns in the Carrol Boyes steamer for 3-4 minutes
- Blanch the veg noodles in salted boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Drain and add into a pot, cook until water evaporates, remove from the heat and add some of the soy dressing.
- Heat laksa in a small Carrol Boyes pot
- Spoon hot laksa at the bottom of a Carrol Boyes wide soup bowl.
- Top with the noodles and then finish off with the prawns.
- Garnish with warm edamame, cashews, sprouts and coriander.