A-Maize Balls with Tomato Smoortjie
Pap and smoor is a non-negotiable at any braai, but dish up these amazing maize balls and you will be the talk of the town for good reason!
Recipe by: Thando Manyoni
Time: 2 hours
- 2 cups maize rice, soaked overnight
- 2 cups maize meal
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- ¼ cup Clover Mooi River Salted
- 3 tbsp Clover Olive Pride
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ chutney
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups grated Clover Cheddar Cheese
How To Make:
- Cook the maize rice and maize meal together in the water until cooked through- about 1 hours.
- Season well, stir through the corn and butter. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a pan, heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, chutney and sugar. Cook for 15 minutes and season to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Roll the pap into golf sized balls and arrange in a small-medium oven proof dish.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the balls, top with the grated cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.