Citrus Olive Oil Cake Recipe
Why not enjoy a comforting dish while getting a good dose of Vitamin C? This Citrus Olive Oil Cake is the perfect dessert to make for any occasion.
Time: 1 hour
Recipe by: Thando Manyoni
• 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 2 large eggs
• ¾ cup African Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• ½ cup plain yogurt
• 1/3 cup of orange juice
• 2 tbsp orange zest
• ¾ cup sugar
• 2 tsp vanilla past
• Pinch of salt
• Whipped cream:
• 1 ¼ heavy whipping cream
• 1/3 cup of powdered sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 1 cup orange/lemon curd
• 1 cup dried orange slices
• Edible flowers
How To Make Citrus Olive Oil Cake
1. Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a 20cm round cake tin with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar, orange zest, eggs, and vanillas paste until light and fluffy.
3. Add the olive oil, orange juice and yogurt and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and gently fold until combined. Do not over mix the batter.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
8. For the whipped cream, beat the cream with the icing sugar until medium stiff peaks form. Fold in the vanilla essence.
9. To assemble, top the cooled cake with the whipped cream and spread gently. Dollop over some citrus curd over the whipped cream and swirl into the cream.
10. Decorate the cake with the dried orange slices and edible flowers.
Chefs Tip: For extra moisture, you can gently poke some holes all over the top of the cake while is warm and brush over simple syrup or 2 tablespoons of olive oil.