A sweet, coconut centre coated in a cracking caramel!
Recipe courtesy of @cafecouffee
- 1 can/ 397g sweetened condensed milk,
- 40g unslated butter,
- 85g dessicated coconut or coconut flakes,
- 1 Cup/ 210g granulated sugar,
- ½ Cup / 125ml water
- ½ tsp vinegar
How To Make Bala Baiana
- Add the condensed milk, butter and desiccated coconut to a medium pot and bring to a medium heat.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes until thickened and pulls away from the edges.
- Line a large bowl with some cling film and pour the mixture inti the lined bowl, to allow to cool.
- Once cooled, oil your hands and roll the mixture into small balls, just smaller than a ping pong ball and then place them into the fridge.
- Prepare the caramel by adding the sugar, water and vinegar into a pot and bring to a medium heat to cook for 8-10 minutes until caramel in colour.
- Using a wooden skewer dip, skewer them to allow you to be able to dip them into the caramel and then place them onto some baking paper to allow to cool and for the candy to set.