Fatima Sydow’s Cape Malay cooking is loved far and wide and we celebrate her with this iconic dish!
Recipe by: Fatima Sydow
- 1 kg of Lamb or Blade beef
- 1 Cauliflower head broken into florets
- 2 onions peeled and finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp of oil
- 6 potatoes peeled and cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stick cinnamon (optional)
- 1 whole chili
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
How To Make:
- Brown your meat and onions well in the heated oil in a large pot.
- Add your salt, garlic, chili and spices and add a cup of hot water, cook on medium heat for about 40 to 50 minutes and until all water has been cooked away and your meat is almost tender and very brown, making sure to add a little water to prevent from burning while meat is cooking, stirring when required.
- Next add your cauliflower and potatoes and about a cups worth of hot water and cook on medium heat until potatoes are soft. And you are done.
- Serve with rice and sambal, atchar or pickled beetroot.