Chicken & Mushroom Pie with Homemade Puff Pastry
Unlock the secret to a flop-proof puff pastry recipe using Golden Cloud!
Recipe by: Thando Manyoni
Time: 4 hours
- For the pastry:
- 2 cups Golden Cloud Cake Flour
- 250g frozen butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup ice cold water
- For the filling;
- 500g skinless chicken thighs
- 250g portabellini mushrooms
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Golden Cloud cake flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
How To Make Chicken & Mushroom Pie
- For the puff pastry:
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt.
- Grate the frozen butter into the flour.
- Tossing the butter into the flour mixture with your hands until well coated.
- Drizzle 6 tablespoons of water over the mixture and fold the mixture until it clumps together.
- Continue adding water gradually until a loose and crumble dough forms.
- Gently knead the dough until you have firm rough dough.
- Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into 2-3cm rectangle.
- Fold the dough in thirds like a letter.
- Turn 90 degrees and repeat rolling, folding and rotating 3 more times.
- Fold back into thirds, wrap tightly and chill in the fridge for at least two hours before use.
- For the filling:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms in batches and cook until golden.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the butter, leeks and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the milk and cook until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make pie;
- Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a baking sheet.
- Roll the pastry out to 1cm thickness and score a 3cm border around the edge (don’t cut all the way through), then lightly score criss-cross pattern across the inner section. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Brush with the egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Transfer the pastry to a serving board.
- Use a sharp knife to cut round the border, not cutting all the way through, like a lid.
- Remove the lid pastry and fill the pastry with the chicken filling.
- Top with the lid, slice and serve.