Culinary Hotline - Eid Edition
Eid is around the corner and on our Culinary Hotline, we have some cooking tips and trick that can make your Eid extra special.
All recipes by Ilhaam Banoobhai-Anwar
- 1 roll of puff pastry cut into 12 squares
- Any filling (chicken, spinach and feta, roasted butternut, salmon)
- 250ml milk
- 250ml cream
- 1 egg yolk
- Grated cheese/Parmesan
How To Make Mini Quiche
- Place square of pastry into muffin tray, sides will be high/imperfect
- Fill with filling of your choice
- Mix wet ingredients together and pour over filling.
- Top with grated cheese
- Bake at 180 for 20 mins or until golden.
- 400g basmati rice
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- 800ml boiling water
- 50g mint (40g left on the sprigs; leaves shredded for the remaining 10g, to use in the salsa)
- 150g feta, crumbled into 1-2cm pieces
salt and black pepper
- For the salsa:
- 40g pitted green olives, thinly sliced
- seeds from 1 small pomegranate (90g)
- 50g walnut halves, lightly roasted and roughly broken
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
How To Make Ottolenghi’s Baked Rice
- Preheat the oven to 230°C fan, or as high as your oven will go.
- Place the rice in a high-sided ovenproof dish, measuring 20 x 30cm.
- Season with ¾ teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper, then pour over the butter and boiling water.
- Top with the sprigs of mint and cover the dish tightly with tin foil so that the rice is well sealed.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the rice is light and fl uffy and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the salsa, minus the 10g shredded mint, in a medium bowl with ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Take the rice out of the oven, and remove and discard the foil.
- Pull the leaves off the mint sprigs – the stalks can be discarded – then place these back on the rice and sprinkle with the feta.
- Just before serving, stir the shredded mint into the salsa and spoon evenly over the rice. Serve hot.
- 1 leg of lamb or lamb shoulder
- 1 onion, sliced
1 Cup chicken or veg stock
- 5 cloves of garlic, slices or finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Liquid saffron (pinch of saffron threads, 2Tb hot water)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2x sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed finely chopped
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
How To Make Persian Roast leg of lamb
- Mix marinade ingredients together
- Cut slits into meat,
- Rub marinade all over making sure it gets into the slits.
- Slice onion and place on bottom of roasting dish in even layer.
- Put lamb on top of onion layer and pour chicken stock over onions (not lamb).
- Cover with foil and roast for one hour
- After that take off foil and roast for another 30-60 minutes.
- 30 minutes for pink 60 minutes for well done.
- Leave to rest, covered before serving.
- 12 sheets phyllo
- 250g Butter, melted
- 3 cups Any mixture of nuts Walnuts/ Almonds/ Pistachio – blended in food processor
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of one orange
- Mix above together
How To Make 10 minute Baklava
- Place half of the phyllo sheets in a baking dish
- Put nut mixture on top and cover with remaining phyllo sheets.
- Cut into diamond shapes
- Pour melted butter over the phyllo
- Bake in 180 degree oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Pour cooled simple syrup over immediately once out of oven.
- Simple syrup
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 2/3 Cup water
- Juice of half a lemon
- Orange peel
- Boil all ingredients together, allow to cool.
- Cut half roll of phyllo into circles
- Place in muffin tray
- Pour melted butter/ghee over
- Bake until golden 10 mins at 180
- Pour cold simple syrup over, top with nut mixture and dried rose petals