Culinary Hotline - Gourmet Boerewors
Nothing screams South Africa like a boerewors roll!
Recipe by Abigail Donnelly
- 8 Woolworths ultimate hot dog rolls
- 1 kg Woolworths Grabouw boerewors
- For the monkeygland boerie:
- Woolies’ frozen onion rings, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 T sunflower oil
- 3 T smooth apricot jam
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 T mustard
- 3 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- ½ Cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 Cup Mrs Balls chutney
- garlic butter, for serving
- For the Mexican-inspired boerie:
- 1 cup cream
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 Cup canned whole corn kernels, drained
- Woolies pickled jalapenos, for serving
- Woolies nacho chips, for serving
How To Make Abi’s Ultimate Boerie Roll Two-Ways
For the monkeygland boerie:
1. Grill the boerewors over the coals or in a pan.
2. Slice 4 hot dog rolls lengthways and toast until golden brown, then butter with garlic butter.
3. To make the monkeygland sauce, fry the onion in the oil until golden. Add the apricot jam, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, tomato sauce and chutney and stir well. Simmer until the sauce thickens a bit. Place pieces of boerewors in the rolls and top with the monkeygland sauce and onion rings.
For the Mexican-inspired boerie:
1. Grill the wors and butter the rolls as for the monkeygland boerie.
2. To make the creamed corn, place the cream and garlic in a saucepan, season and allow to reduce over low heat for about 10 minutes. Stir the reduced cream through the corn.
3. Serve the wors on the rolls topped with the creamed corn, pickled jalapenos and nacho chips.