Pilchard Macaroni Bake Recipe
Celebrate the amataliano in you with this Afrotalian dish – and only five ingredients!
Time: 45 minutes
Recipe by: Thando Manyoni
- 500g Fatti’s and Moni’s Bellissimo Ridged Macaroni
- 400g Koo Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
- 400g Fresh Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 400g Fresh Cheese Sauce, warmed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
How To Make Pilchard Macaroni Bake
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook the pasta till almost cooked, as per packaging instructions.
- Set aside
- Pour the can of pilchards into a bowl and flake lightly with a fork, removing any bones.
- In a saucepan, add the creamy tomato sauce and bring to a gentle simmer.
Add the pilchards and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- To a large oven proof dish, start layering your macaroni, by adding a ladle of white sauce to the base of your dish, followed by a layer of Fatti’s and Moni’s macaroni pasta, top the layer of macaroni with a ladle of you pilchards’ sauce.
- Repeat the layers until you’ve finished the ingredients. Top the dish with cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.