Chocolate Hot Cross Buns Recipe
Baking delicious chocolate hot cross buns together, gives you an amazing opportunity for quality time with loved ones.
Time: 4 hours
Recipe by: Thando Manyoni
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 tsp instant dried yeast
- ½ white sugar
- 3 ¾ Golden Cloud Cake Flour
- 1/3 cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 5 tbsp butter
- Beacon mmmMallow
- Eggs of your choice – cut into small pieces 2x 80g Beacon
- Midnight Velvet
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp boiling water
How To Make Chocolate Hot Cross Buns
- In a jug combine the milk, yeast, and one tablespoon of the sugar.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes or until foamy
Add the remaining sugar, flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and, mmmMallow bits and egg.
- Knead until a slightly sticky dough. Add in the butter and knead until fully incorporated.
- Knead for 15 minutes until the dough bounces back when pressed.
- Pull the dough out the bowl onto a clean workbench and flatten it out. Scatter the on the dough, and work them into the dough.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Place in a bowl and cover with a cloth. Proof until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven 180C and prepare a square baking tray
Pull the dough onto your work surface and cut into 9 even pieces.
- Roll into the tight balls and arrange in the baking tray.
- Cover with a damp cloth and proof until doubled in size.
- Bake the buns for 20-25 minutes.
- While the buns are baking, mix together the ingredients for the glaze.
- Brush the buns with the glaze as soon as they come out the oven.
- Allow the buns to cool
Melt the chocolate and transfer to a piping bag, cut the tip and pipe a cross on each of the cooled buns.
Chefs Tip: Make sure the buns are completely cooled before piping the chocolate, to ensure the chocolate doesn’t melt when piping the cross.