Picanha and Red Pepper Salsa
If you love steak, this is a delicious way to make picanha or rump steak.
Recipe by: Clement Pedro
- 200g Roasted red peppers in brine, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10g parsley, roughly chopped
- 10g mint, finely chopped
- 1t cumin powder
- 2T olive oil
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 picanha beef rump, about 1kg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How To Make
- In a mixing bowl combine the diced red pepper, garlic, parsley, mint, cumin and olive oil.
- Add the vinegar and season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper.
- For the picanha, place the steak on a cutting board with the tip of the steak facing to the left.
- Score the fat by cutting only into the fat cap in one direction before scoring in the other direction in the same manner.
- Starting from the right, cut thick steaks out of the picanha working towards the tip of the steak.
- Fold each steak into a c shape with the fat being on the outside then skewer, keep adding more steaks until the skewer is full before starting a new skewer.
- Season your steaks generously with salt and pepper and set aside while preparing your coals.
- Place your skewered steaks on a braai grid, fat side facing down to brown and render the fat before cooking for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked to medium.
- Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes before removing from the skewer and serving with the salsa spooned over.
Chefs Tip: Invest in chef and steak knives that are resistant to impact and high temperatures – made with high-quality stainless steel blades that are dishwasher safe.