Easter Chocolate Celebration Cake Recipe
It’s the perfect time to bring out those tried and trusted recipes and get inspired with a delicious Easter Chocolate Cake for you to try.
Recipe by: Derick van Biljon
- For the sponge
- 1/4 cup of water
- 220 g of butter
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups of soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups of buttermilk
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 2 cups of flour
- 5 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 5 ml Royal Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt.
- 1 ½ cups sifted icing sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup sifted cocoa powder
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp rum (optional)
How To Make Easter Chocolate Celebration Cake
- Heat the oven to 170 C. Heat the water, apricot jam and butter together in a saucepan then add the cocoa powder and stir until dissolved – do not boil.
- Beat the sugar and eggs together until doubled in volume. Add the buttermilk and vanilla, then add hot cocoa mixture and give it a good stir.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt together, then add to the cocoa mixture and mix to combine.
- Pour into a prepared cake tin and bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow to cool in tin.
- Prepare the icing by heating all the icing ingredients together except the rum, if using.
- Melt the butter or n the buttermilk first, then ad the cocoa powder.
- Use a whisk to get rid of any lumps.
- Bring to a boil then remove from the heat and whisk in the rum.
- Allow to cool before icing the cake. Garnish iced cake as desired (choch sauce must be at room temperature)