Fried Tomato Sandwich Recipe
Enjoy a delicious fried tomato sandwich that you can enjoy in the comfort of your home.
Recipe by: Nicole Snelling – Credit to Salt_hand- Instagram
- 1 baguette, halved and toasted
- 1-2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1-2 eggs, beaten
- 1-2 Cups panko bread crumbs
- A few fresh basil leaves
- 2 Cups fresh basil
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp Pine nuts
- ¼ Cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ Cup Olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of water, if needed
- Tomato sauce:
- 1 tin chopped and peeled tomato
- 2 Red chilli’s, thinly sliced
- ½ onions, sliced
- 1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2-3 fresh mozzarella balls
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How To Make Fried Tomato Sandwich
- Start by preparing the basil pesto by adding all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add a dash of water if needed.
- To prepare the tomato sauce, add the onions to a non-stick preheated pan and allow to sauté for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, then add garlic and chilli.
- Add the tinned tomato and fresh basil leaves and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mozzarella balls and allow to melt.
- Stir through the mozzarella into the sauce. Season to taste.
- To make the fried tomato, dust the tomatoes with some flour, then dunk into the beaten egg and then into the panko bread crumbs.
- Fry the tomatoes off in some shallow preheated oil until golden brown and crisp.
- To assemble the toastie, spread some basil pesto onto the base of the bread, top with fried tomato and then pour some tomato sauce over.
- Top with some more fresh basil, close with remaining bread before serving.