Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
South African artist Holly Rey shares one of her favourite recipes with us! Catch Baking With The Reys on SABC3.
Recipe by Holly Rey
- Soft butter
- 8 slices of white bread
- 8 slices of ham
- 8 slices of your favourite cheese
- 500ml milk
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 15 – 30ml chopped chives
How To Make Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Make 8 sandwiches by generally buttering all the sliced bread, then add 2
slices of ham and cheese per sandwich.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 triangles and stack the sandwich squares pointy
side up into an ovenproof baking dish.
- Beat the eggs into the milk, season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg.
- Whisk in the finely chopped chives and pour over the sandwiches and bake
for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown and the custard is set.