Carrot and Lentil Soup Recipe
This carrot and red lentil soup with creamy coconut and crispy chickpea topping is here to break all the rules.
Time: 40 minutes
Recipe by: Thando Manyoni
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup olive oil, more if need
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp mild spicy curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp mother-in-law spice
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1L chicken stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 60g Onion chilli crunch
How To Make Carrot and Lentil Soup
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Place the chickpeas on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat
Roast in the oven until crispy, about 20-25 minutes. Toss the chickpeas halfway through, to ensure even crispiness.
- In the meantime, start making the soup.
- Heat a medium pot and the olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic and carrots, cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add the tomato paste and spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the lentil and chicken stock and bring to a gentle simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Once the lentils have cooked down and the soup has reduced, add the coconut milk.
- Place the soup in a blender or blend with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Return to the pot and bring the soup to a gentle simmer again.
- Serve the soup, topped with the crunchy chickpeas, a drizzle of sour cream, onion chilli crunch and coriander to garnish.