Cinnamon Crunch and Chocolate Bread Pudding
Smells like festive season!
Recipe by: Thando Manyoni
Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- For the bread pudding:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cream
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp salt
- 7 cups stale bread, cut into large chunks (challah or brioche)
- 2x 80g Beacon Heavenly Ivory Cream Chocolate
- For the cinnamon crunch:
- ¾ cup Golden Cloud Cake Flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- For the vanilla sauce;
- 1 ½ cup cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
How To Make
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 25cm baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla essence and salt. Set aside.
- Scatter the bread into the baking dish.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks and scatter over the bread.
- Pour the milk mixture gradually onto the bread, allowing the bread enough time to soak up the liquid before adding more.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes
In the meantime, make the cinnamon crunch; combine the dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Add the melted butter and mix until fully incorporated.
- Sprinkle the crunch all over the bread pudding.
- Bake the pudding in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the custard is set and top is lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the heavy cream, sugar and egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Continue to stir and heat until it starts to simmer lightly around the edge – do not boil.
- Once thickened, stir in the vanilla essence and remove from the heat
- Cut the bread pudding into squares and serve with a generous drizzle of vanilla sauce.