Three Cheese Scones with Caramelised Onion Recipe
Fluffy scones, filled with cheese and topped with a tart but sweet caramelised onion is the tea time treat you deserve!
Time: 12-15 minutes
Recipe by: Kelly-Anne Damons
- 450g self-rising flour
- 50g Clover Mama Bake Margarine frozen
- ½ tsp of fine salt
- 80g mature cheddar cheese grated
- 80g parmesan cheese grated
- 80g gruyere cheese grated
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup milk for brushing
For the caramelised onion
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloved of garlic finely chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
How To Make Three Cheese Scones with Caramelised Onion
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. In a large bowl sift together the flour and salt.
- Grate in the frozen Clover Mama Bake Margarine. Using your fingertips, rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine bread crumbs and stir in the cheese.
- Add in the milk to form a soft dough – add gradually without making the dough too wet.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured surface then roll out to approximately 2-3 cm thickness.
- Cut out scone using a cookie cutter or rim of a glass and place on a baking sheet that’s been lined with baking paper.
- Brush the scones with some milk and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow the scones to slightly cool and serve with caramelised onion.
- To make the caramelised onion, sauté the onion in oil over medium high heat until translucent, add in the garlic, balsamic vine, season to taste and allow the balsamic to reduce, resulting in a thick onion marmalade like mixture.
Chefs Tip: Keep the scones as cold as possible until they go into the oven, chill in the fridge.