Culinary Hotline - Meals With Mash
We’re highlighting the incredible foodie women for Women’s Month and we’re honoured to have Thilivhali Mash Mugwena from ‘Meals With Mash’ in our kitchen!
All recipes by Thilivhali Mash Mugwena
- Zest of one Lemon
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Plain Yoghurt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 1/2 Cups Cake Wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp Baking powder
- 150g Salted Butter (Cold)
- For serving:
- ½ Cup strawberry jam
- ½ Whipped cream
How To Make Breakfast Lemon Scones
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- In a bowl, mix lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, eggs, yoghurt, and vanilla essence and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour and baking powder.
- Add butter and mix with your hands until it forms a crumb texture.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry and GENTLY mix.
- Dust the work surface with flour then gently knead the dough then roll it out. (Not too flat)
- Cut the dough using a cookie cutter then place them in a greased baking tray.
- Lightly brush the scones with egg wash and bake in a preheated oven for 12-15 min.
- Serve with cream and jam and enjoy with a cup of tea.
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 600g Beef Meatballs
- 1 Onion, diced.
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced.
- 1/2 Red pepper, diced.
- 1/2 Green pepper, diced.
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 400g diced tomatoes.
- Salt & pepper
- 3 Tbsp paprika
- 3 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/3 Cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp Barbecue sauce
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 1 Cup boiled water
- Fresh basil, minced.
- Fresh basil for Garnish
How To Make Meatballs
- In a pan, heat oil and brown meatballs then set them aside.
- In the same pan, sauté onion till almost soft then add garlic and peppers to it and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and spices.
- Leave this to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sauces and wine then allow this to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add back the browned meatballs and stir until the meatballs are submerged in the sauce.
- In a bowl dissolve the stock cube in hot water then pour the stock to the meatballs.
- Cover the pot with a lid and leave it to simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add basil to it then turn off heat.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
- 5 Medium Potatoes, cubed.
- 1L Hot water
- 1/2 Tbsp Salt
- 200g Sliced Portabellini Mushrooms
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced.
- 100g Salted butter.
- 250ml Cream
- Fresh parsley, minced.
- Salt & Pepper, as needed.
How To Make Creamy Mushroom Potato Mash
- In a pot, boil potatoes in salted water until soft.
- Drain any excess water then mash the potatoes using a spatula or masher.
- In a preheated frying pan, melt butter and sauté mushrooms until they are soft and have released all the juices.
- Add garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Add cream then allow it to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add parsley then leave it to simmer for 1 minute,
- Pour the mushroom sauce to the mashed potatoes and mix until the mash is smooth and well incorporated.
- Serve this immediately it with meatballs.