Smash Burger with Caramelised Onions on Brioche Buns
Use the best quality mince from Woolworths to make the ultimate smash burgers!
Recipe by: Clement Pedro
- 500g Woolies beef mince
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Full cream gouda flavoured processed cheese
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2T butter
- 2T olive oil
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 4 brioche burger buns
- Tomato sauce
- Pickles, thinly sliced
- Lettuce, tomato, and any other desired toppings
How To Make
- For the Caramelized Onions:
Heat a large pan over medium-low heat, add the butter and olive oil, and let it melt.
- Add the thinly sliced onions to the skillet and stir to coat them with the butter and oil.
- Season the onions with a pinch of salt and a little sugar to help with caramelisation.
- Cook the onions on low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 30-40 minutes or until they are soft, brown, and caramelised.
- For the Smash Burger Patties:
Divide the beef mice into 4 equal portions and shape them into balls.
- Heat a cast-iron pan over high heat until it’s very hot. You want it smoking hot for the best sear.
- Place the balls of meat onto the hot skillet and press down with a heavy spatula or a burger press to flatten them into thin patties.
- Press down firmly to get that classic crispy crust.
- Season the patties with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until the edges are crispy and the centre is cooked to your desired level of doneness.
- Place a slice of cheese on each patty while they are still in the pan. Cover with a lid to help the cheese melt. Once the cheese is melted, remove the patties from the heat.
- To assemble the Burgers
Slice the brioche buns in half and lightly toast them in butter for a minute or until they are golden brown.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the bottom bun and add mustard and ketchup to taste.
- Place a patty with the melted cheese on top of the sauce.
- Add a generous portion of caramelized onions on top of the patty.
- If desired, add pickles, lettuce, and tomato slices.
- Place the top bun on the assembled ingredients.